A Shocking Design Failure

Colin Brigham, CIH, CSP, Safety Management and Ergonomics Expert
Case Description: A high school science teacher was using a hot plate on the top of her laboratory bench in a demonstration to the class. The hot plate was being used to heat and mix material in a glass vessel. While the hot plate was still turned on, she bent over and began to unplug the hot plate and received an electrical shock that threw her back, causing her to strike the back of her head on the tray of a large dry erase board. The teacher sustained brain damage. Continue reading “A Shocking Design Failure”